Ireland


Dia dhuit,
Ireland is an amazing country with an intense but interesting history. I stayed in Dublin and had a day trip to Belfast. From previous travels the whole country is absolutely beautiful with unbelievably charismatic and kind people. Travelling Ireland is easy to navigate as a solo gluten free traveller, with clear labelling and restaurants with gluten free options. Following are my musts when visiting Dublin and taking day trips across the country!


Number one: Pub culture.... one more Bulmers thanks!
Yes I've got to be honest I love a drink and sitting in a bar in Ireland listening to Irish folk music whilst sipping down a cool beverage was one of the things I fantasized about when planning my trip. As an avid wine drinker at home, I didn't want to be sitting in an Irish pub with a glass of sparkling or rose. Yes this was all to do with the mental picture I had constructed and wine was not what I had in mind. Now beer is definitely off the table being coeliac and also hating the taste. So cider was the alternative for me. Giving me the feeling of still being authentic to pub culture, cider was a great and delicious alternative! Now there are many different gluten free ciders in Ireland but my favourite cider by far is Bulmers Irish Cider (branded as Magners outside of Ireland). This cider is as Irish as Guinness, the Cliffs of Moher and shamrocks! So if like me you want to feel authentic to Irish culture when ordering in a Irish pub in Temple Bar, Bulmers may be the drink for you!


 Number two: Get to the Farm immediately!
3 Dawson st, Dublin
This restaurant is the best if you are wanting gluten free Irish cuisine. I went twice and had amazing wings as a starter .... they were so good in fact that I had them both times! Then as mains I had cottage pie and roast chicken with bubble and squeak. All the food was incredible and the atmosphere was great and not at all awkward as a solo traveller. Just a hop, skip and a jump from Trinity college and Temple bar it couldn't be easier to get to!



Number three: Visit the Cornucopia
19-20 Wicklow St, Dublin 2
A cute restaurant, which is open for breakfast, this is a great place for dietary issues as it is accommodating to gluten free, vegan and sugar free. It was amazing to be able to pick and choose for a hot breakfast! I also loved the Cornucopia as it had Kombucha and as a big believer in taking care of gut health, especially being coeliac, I was so happy to have a little piece of home with me!




Number four: Plan ahead for your day activities and trips
During my short and fleeting stay in Ireland I wanted to jam pack in as many activities and sights as I could. Now I love day or walking tours and Ireland with its rich history is a perfect place for them. A walking tour to explore the amazing history and development of Dublin makes for an interesting and exciting look at this incredible city. It is also cool as they are led by actual Irish people who put their unique flavour and spin on the city (like cool stories about the time they met Jack Gleeson from GOT 'Joffery' and how nice and friendly he is ..... I let that one sit with you - he was just so good at being evil). Day trips to Belfast or other destinations are informative and give a unique perspective on a country divided and is very detailed about the division up in Belfast. Now these trips are amazing but as a coeliac you must be prepared for long days and potentially stops at not so accommodating restaurants or stores. This is where Take supplies from my blog post The Fundamentals come in to play or if you want to pick something up at a convenient store in town you really should. Because day trips or walking tours can be absolute torture if you are getting 'hangry'. 

If you're planning a trip to Ireland you will not be disappointed. Its picturesque landscapes, amazing people, incredible pub culture, fascinating history and accommodating restaurants and cafes make it a great stop on any gluten free traveller's list. 

Happy and safe travels,
Georgia
The Coeliac Adventurer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Southern States (USA) Part Two

The Fundamentals