The Fundamentals

Hello, 
Travelling as a coeliac can be a difficult and occasionally frustrating experience. As someone who has only been aware of being coeliac in recent years it has led to a complete shift in my attitude and thinking when it comes to food and even to travelling. In the past, I have been the eat it all traveller, eating anything and everything that may be considered a cultural delicacy. However with those days firmly behind me I have had to learn to change my mindset and my expectations of travelling. Now as a HUGE travel enthusiast and fanatic I am always chasing that next high of planning, booking and escaping to new and exciting lands. This means that I refuse to live in fear of getting out and about and finding places where I can still experience some of the cuisine and the dining cultures in other countries. This post is sharing my three tips you must do to survive any overseas or interstate journey. Hope you find them helpful and that they will help you bite the bullet when it comes to any overseas adventure!

Number one: Plan ahead!
This means google, google and google some more. Make sure you do enough research to know that there are at least two restaurants near where you are staying (or at least manageable to get to) that have gluten free options. Now I recommend at least knowing of two, as if you are as sensitive as I am there is no way you want to go back to somewhere if you have had a reaction.

Number two: Take supplies!
Now when I travel I always pack at least quarter of my bag with easy to manage snacks (nut bars, microwaveable rice - if you’re staying somewhere with a microwave, rice crackers, protein balls and long life cheese). These will save your life! I promise!! As everyone with an allergy or intolerance will know sometimes it is frustrating and upsetting when you’re about to eat your arm off and there is nothing for you. Supplies make times like these much less awkward for you and for the people you are travelling with. It also means you’ll have space to pack all of your shopping and souvenirs, so win win.

Number three: Get to know the wait staff!
Now this is more applicable for longer stays, tours or cruises. If you have a good relationship with your crew or waiters they will look after you and it may save you time and the embarrassment of constantly repeating yourself. The best experience and example of this is when sailing around the Greek Islands I became so well known to the maƮtre d that he would almost sprint across the large restaurant on the ship when he saw me to tell me what options he had for me. He was so unbelievably kind and informative. He would even recommend places he knew would be ok when we docked.

I hope these  tips will help you when preparing for your next adventures and help gallivanting as a coeliac much simpler! 

Happy and safe travels,
Georgia
The Coeliac Adventurer

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ireland

The Southern States (USA) Part Two