Byron Bay


Byron Bay is located on the coast of New South Wales in Australia. A mecca, if you will, for the holistic and bohemian lifestyle, Byron Bay is considered the place to go for many, especially the trendy and backpackers. Now, as not a particularly trendy or alternative person, Byron Bay is more about enjoying the small town lifestyle and the amazing number of gluten free options here. As a town with a huge respect for holistic practices and wellbeing being gluten free in Byron is pretty easy.

Recommendations for in and around Byron Bay:
Now all that being said Byron's aesthetic is beautiful, with gorgeous and luscious greenery and rain forests located close to the beach this could easily be mistaken for paradise.

SUNRISE..... IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT!
I am not a morning person, being part vampire I worship the nights, however being a teacher I have completely had to change my life and schedule around. This means that although begrudgingly I want to get up and greet the day, I  also want to get the most out of my day. This means I am often awake before the sun and I know how magical it can be just in the suburbs of Melbourne therefore how special I thought it would be to see a sunrise in Byron! I was absolutely righ't it was amazing. Heading to the lighthouse, which I soon realized was closed we hopped to it and headed quickly down to the shore to see it rise over the lighthouse! This was magical and totally worth it. We were also among the few people who had gotten up to see it, so it made it even more spectacular! This was definitely a highlight!


LENNOX HEAD
Half an hour away from Byron Bay this coastal town is adorable and relatively undiscovered compared to the huge flocks that frequent Byron. No, it has not got the atmosphere of Byron Bay but it definitely has a more relaxed coastal vibe that is a welcomed break from the backpackers and tourists. It also has a beautiful aspect on a hill that looks over the sea and the sand and if you're wanting your space at the beach it would be my choice rather than Byron!



TO NIMBIN OR NOT TO NIMBIN?
Not being one to partake in Nimbin's marijuana delights, Nimbin is not somewhere I would rush back to in a hurry. That being said the cute rainbow coloured house and quirky nature of the town definitely make it an interesting place to see. I wouldn't rush there unless you're into the psychedelic because it is more seedy than anything....



SO MANY PLACES TO EAT, SO LITTLE TIME!
Byron Bay thankfully has so many places with GF options that it is actually amazing! I am sure there are other, better or equally as good places (and if so please share in the comments below) but here are three of the ones I found that I absolutely loved!

1- Miss Margarita
A cute atmospheric Mexican restaurant, Miss Margarita is well worth a visit! With delicious cocktails and gluten free options what more could a coeliac girl want.

2- Byron Fresh
A gorgeous cafe in the main strip, Byron Fresh is a very busy cafe and restaurant. With it's Hollywood style light,s that light up a love and peace sign, and weatherboard decor  this is a definite attraction in Byron. Try the Buckwheat hotcakes, they are to die for!

3- No Bones
Slightly hidden and off the main strip of Byron, No Bones is a relatively new restaurant with a beautiful outside dining area. Their online menu doesn't indicate that the food is gluten free however when asked they had quite a few gf options.

Ok One more restaurant to add. Let's make it an even four .... 4- Kura Byron Bay
As someone who loves Japanese food, this restaurant was an absolute find! Not only did it have gluten free options but it also has gluten free sake #winning !



Two little disclaimers for Byron:

BEWARE OF HOLIDAY BUYS! 
Byron Bay is a classic example of a place where I succumb to holiday buys. Holiday Buys referred to in my family are anything you think you have to have on holidays only to come home and realise you are never going to wear it. Things like the fisherman's pants that you beg your mum to buy in Bali are a classic example of a holiday buy, something you will never wear in public but you are determined to have on holiday. With an abundance of tie dye and crochet this is wear my inner hippie thrives. As a lover of the hippie trends, I am in danger in a place like Byron! This is where I need to check myself before I wreck myself (or my bank account). Trying on a tie dyed overall in Nimbin  I was legitimately convincing myself that these overalls were a great decision.. no thanks to my dad who was there cheering me on! However luckily, my hips do not lie and I couldn't fit into my size and the next size were way too big. Never have I been so happy for my hips as upon reflection these were such a holiday buy as I am not a farmer, hippy or in the slightest bit trendy! I can just imagine myself rocking up to coffee with my friends and them looking at me like I was from another planet. So consider yourself warned!

PEOPLE, PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!
Now Byron is well known for is relaxed lifestyle but since the influx of backpackers, Instagram elite, travelling families and lets face it Chris Hemsworth stalkers it is BUSY. I have been to Byron three times and this year was by far the craziest and busiest and it wasn't even peak season. It is just something to be aware of as I think the chill vibe is starting to be taken over by the honking horn. That being said I really loved the vibe going on in Byron as it had a fun and vibrant atmosphere with buzzing restaurants, bars and cafes.

Byron Bay is absolutely beautiful and it is definitely somewhere I'll head back to. So if you have any recommendations please hit me up in the comment section below!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ireland

The Southern States (USA) Part Two

The Fundamentals