Japan

Konnichiwa,
Japan is a vibrant and gorgeous country. Its' rich history and incredibly unique culture make it a must on any traveller's bucket list. However as a traveller with special dietary requirements I have to be honest ... Japan is hard work! You would think with a diet that largely consists of rice and fish that this destination would be a coeliac's dream. Unfortunately this was not my experience as hidden glutenous nasties are creeping around every corner. All that being said, I adored Japan and it is definitely a must see. So here are some tips to surviving this amazing country.



Number one: Travel with absolute legends! 
Travelling with two amazing girlfriends absolutely made my experience in Japan! Being a very apologetic and no muss no fuss kind of person meant my being diagnosed with coeliac disease has been at times overwhelming, as I hate being difficult. This is always heightened when I travel because being out of my comfort zone and feeling like I am missing out can be an absolute drag! But having an amazing support network, who will ask for you when you are disheartened, scour packaging and ingredients and lie to you that 'the sushi is not that amazing' at low moments, made my trip!



Image result for google translate app
Number two: Get google translate!
Google translate may have been the best thing to happen to me whilst in Japan. Ok yes this may be slightly hyperbolic but it was actually so helpful as lots of people in Japan don't speak English. Don't get me wrong  I am not a traveller who expects or even wants everything to be in English, because that's why you are in a foreign country, but my oh my this helps when you need to be clear about your allergies. The app is pretty self explanatory but the two features that make the app amazing are the ability to type text and then it be converted to any language that you've downloaded (make sure you have downloaded before you leave wi fi land) and the camera which allows you to take a photo of ingredients in another language (in this case Japanese) and translate it to English, which is amazing when buying things in a Family Mart (Japanese convenient stores). The camera feature can at times be temperamental but still it is better than nothing!


Number three: BYO soy sauce!
Beware of soy sauce!!!! It is on everything and more likely than not it contains gluten! To ensure that you don't get glutened with soy sauce I took my own big bottle and small bottles to decant into. This may seem a bit crazy but it was great and especially when I was craving rice I would go down to the Family Mart for a microwavable rice and add soy sauce and to be honest this saved my trip as most gluten free places I went to in Japan didn't have super Japanesey cuisine (apart from Littlebird which is number four.)



Number Four: Visit the Gluten free Littlebird Cafe in Tokyo 
1-1-20 Uehara | JP Bldg. 3FShibuya 151-0064, Tokyo Prefecture
+81 3-3460-8282

This place was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! A restaurant with an amazing feel and vibe as you climb the stairs to what feels like a secret hideaway. It  does requires a little bit of a trek as it is not really near anything but it is an absolute must!!! Seriously go! I am salivating at the thought of its deliciousness! Littlebird has all the Japanese you are dying to have ... I literally think I ate my weight in Gyoza. It also has amazing sake, karaage chicken, ramen, green tea ice cream and a whole lot of other non japanese foods like pizza, pasta and burgers. Go, you won't be sorry!




Number Five: Visit the Tsukiji fish market in Tokyo
Sashimi without the vinegar or soy glaze was a breeze here as everything was super fresh! I avoided the rice as it had an unknown vinegar added to it. But I thoroughly enjoyed the freshest sashimi I've ever had.... it seriously almost swam on to my plate! The chefs at the small restaurant we went to were super fun, friendly and accomodating!




Number Six: Tokyo Disneyland and Universal Studios in Osaka have food for you!
Ok so some may roll your eyes in judgement that my friends and I went to Disneyland and Universal Studios but if I am honest ..... they were awesome, I have no regrets and I have not eaten so well! Both have several restaurants that will serve and take care of dietary requirements and the food was delicious! We ate at the Three Broomsticks from Harry Potter and I fan girled out while eating roast chicken and corn on the cob ...Yum!



Number Seven: Kyoto Tea Ceremony 
Kyoto is an amazing place and a must see in Japan! When we were there we did a traditional tea ceremony at Camellia. It was terrific and the amazing thing was that the Matcha tea and sweet treat are both gluten free!!! The ceremony is an amazing insight into one of the past customs in Japan and it is so graceful and an amazing experience!



Number Eight: Organic Raw8 Cafe Osaka
This was definitely my favourite eating spot in Osaka... so good in fact we went there twice! Gluten free and vegan this place was very good for clean and healthy food. I had the most delicious curry but everything we ordered here was delicious. If you're in Osaka it's worth finding. Enjoy!

I could honestly go on and on about Japan! But I think these are probably the most important things from my perspective to know when going and I really hope they are helpful for any future coeliac or gluten intolerant people planning a trip to Japan. Although there are many challenges for people with dietary needs in Japan, its an amazing place with beautiful people, a rich history and unique culture and that well and truly makes up for any inconveniences. When planning a trip make sure to check out my post about my three fundamentals when going anywhere new!

Happy and safe travels,
Georgia
The Coeliac Adventurer




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ireland

The Southern States (USA) Part Two

The Fundamentals